1. We were moving Boris into his new apartment in Istanbul.
2. We didn’t have internet in Boris’ new apartment in Istanbul.
3. I had to get to Orvieto! And that took awhile…
4. The internet here at the farm was out after a storm.
5. I’M ON A FARM. There have been lots of cool things to learn.
So, the whole farm thing. I”m starting my WWOOFing, and as such, I’m working 6 days a week for a few hours a day on a farm near Baschi, Italy. I’m the official caretaker of the farm’s animals, which include a bunch of chickens, some quail, a rabbit, a pig, the second best dog in the world (second only to my own), 3 capons (one of which that is trying to kill me, more on this later), a grouchy cat, 3 tortoises, a few ducks.
I’m also in charge of the compost, which is an integral part of organic farming. I’m really looking forward to learning how to take care of the animals, as well as how to use them for food. Yes, I will be helping to slaughter and butcher them; in fact, we’re going to try to get to a duck tomorrow.
The farm covers about 10 acres, and also is home to fruit trees of all sorts: mulberry, fig, apricot, pomegranate, apple, and quince. There are also olive trees, and the family here sells their olive oil to a restaurant up north.
More photos and updates coming soon! I promise!